Friday, May 25, 2007

Question 5




* what is the climax of this novel? what happens? how do the events of this novel make you feel?

The climax of this novel is when Winston is in room 101 being tortured by his greatest fear, rats. I think that this is the climax of the novel because this is where the result of all the hard work he did for going against the Party and Big Brother end up. No matter how hard he tried before, he is willing to follow, accept, and love Big Brother so as not to be tortured by the rats. This made me feel so sad and disappointed. If he really didn't believe the government was right, he should have stayed strong and followed what he believed in until the end, no matter what. If I were him, I would not change my mind. If I just gave in to avoid being tortured, it would be worse than dying. If I died, at least I wouldn't have to try and get by each day unhappily. In the end, Winston gives up what he always wanted and follows the Party and Big Brother. He loves Big Brother. I thought that the ending was sad. Nothing he did changed anything.

No comments: